Spicy Chipotle Mayo:
- 3½ tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped Chipotle chile in Adobo Sauce
Black Bean Burgers:
- 1 can Reduced-Sodium Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- ½ cup roughly chopped scallions
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup Quick-Cooking Oats
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper Hot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Cooking Spray or Oil Mister
- 4 Whole Wheat Potato Rolls
- Additional toppings
- 1 medium Hass Avocado, thinly sliced
- For the spicy chipotle mayo: In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and chipotle. Set aside.
- For the black bean burgers: Dry the beans well after rinsing (any extra moisture will keep the burgers from holding together well). Put the beans in a medium bowl and mash them with a fork or potato masher until thick and pasty.
- In a food processor, combine the bell pepper, scallions, cilantro, and garlic and pulse until finely chopped. Add the oats, egg, hot sauce, cumin, and salt and pulse a few times, until mixed well. Fold the mixture into the mashed beans. Form the mixture into 4 patties (using slightly oiled or wet hands helps) and put them on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. (If the mixture is too wet, refrigerate it for 30 minutes or add another tablespoon of oats.)
- Freeze for at least 2 hours before cooking.
- To cook, heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly spray the skillet with oil and cook the frozen burgers until browned, about 7 minutes per side.
- To serve, place the burgers on the buns, and top with the spicy chipotle mayo and avocado slices.