- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, rinsed, stems trimmed, and sliced
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- 4 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh or jarred jalapeño chiles, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 whole wheat tortillas or smaller corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 20 seconds, then add the mushrooms and chili powder and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are light golden and most of the juices have evaporated. Add spinach and stir until wilted, then add the black beans and jalapeños (if desired) and stir well until combined. Season with salt and pepper, transfer to bowl, and set aside. Wipe skillet with paper towel and set aside.
- Lay the tortillas on a flat surface. Sprinkle one half of each round with an equal amount of cheese, then divide the mushroom filling equally over the cheese. Fold each tortilla in half.
- Reheat the skillet over medium heat. Place one of the quesadillas in the skillet (add a second one if it fits) and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until the cheese melts and the inside is warm. Continue to cook the remaining quesadillas. Serve promptly.