For the Crust:
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg yolk, whisked
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a 9×9 inch pan with parchment paper making sure the edges of the parchment hang over the sides.
- In a large bowl combine the butter, sugar and salt with a fork.
- Add the whisked egg yolk and combine with the fork.
- Add the flour and, using your hands, combine the dough until it’s flaky. Transfer the dough into the parchment-lined pan and press down with your hands or the bottom of a measuring cup, making a flat and even surface. Refrigerate the dough in the pan for 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, bake the crust for 25 minutes until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
For the Salted Caramel Layer:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 12 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Sea salt flakes to garnish
- In a medium pot combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, salt, sugar and cream. Bring to a boil and make sure all the sugars are dissolved. Stir for about 5-10 minutes until it’s thick and bubbly. If you have a candy thermometer, the caramel should be about 230 degrees F.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Once combined, pour the caramel mixture on top of the shortbread.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Then sprinkle with the sea salt flakes and serve.