For the cilantro black beans and rice:
- ¾ cup uncooked long-grain brown rice
- 1½ cups water
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
For the burrito bowl:
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 medium bell peppers, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups loosely packed chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado, diced
- Prepare cilantro black beans and rice. Combine rice and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 35–40 minutes, or until tender. Stir in black beans; cook 2–3 minutes until heated through. Stir in lime zest, lime juice and cilantro. Set aside and keep warm.
- While rice cooks, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, swirling to coat. Add onion, bell peppers, garlic, cumin and salt. Cook 3 minutes, covered and stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Stir in shrimp; cook 2–3 minutes, stirring often.
- Place 1 cup rice and bean mixture in each of 4 bowls. Top each with 1 ¼ cups shrimp and vegetable mixture. Top each serving evenly with romaine, tomato and avocado.