- 1 stick butter
- 1¼ cups superfine sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 4¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- A little milk
- A handful of hard candies, crushed (put candies of one color in a clean plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place buttered wax paper over two large baking sheets. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add the vanilla extract and stir in the eggs.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into a separate bowl. Add the egg mix and then the milk, a little at a time, and mix into the dough. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until 1/4-inch thick. Cut shapes using a cutter. Use a smaller cutter to make the holes and fill each with a few crushed sweets.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Leave the baked cookies on the paper and transfer the paper onto a wire rack. Allow the cookies to cool completely before removing them from the paper.