For the crust:
- 1½ cups fine chocolate wafer crumbs (about 30 wafers)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ stick (¼ cup) unsalted butter, melted
For the filling:
- 1½ teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/3 cups well-chilled heavy cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup green crème de menthe
- ¼ cup white crème de cacao
- 4 large egg yolks
- Grated mint-flavored chocolate for garnish
Make the crust:
- In a bowl stir together the wafer crumbs, the sugar, and the butter until the mixture is combined well, pat the mixture onto the bottom and up the side of a buttered 9-inch pie plate, and bake the crust in the middle of preheated 450°F. oven for 5 minutes. Let the crust cool.
Make the filling:
- In a metal bowl sprinkle the gelatin over 1/3 cup of the cream and let it soften for 5 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, the crème de menthe, the crème de cacao, and the egg yolks, set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, and cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until it registers 160°F. on a candy thermometer. Transfer the bowl to a larger bowl of ice and cold water and stir the mixture until it is cooled and thickened. In another bowl beat the remaining 1 cup cream until it holds stiff peaks and fold it into the crème de menthe mixture thoroughly.
- Pour the filling into the crust and chill the pie for 4 hours, or until is set. Sprinkle the pie with the grated chocolate.