- 1¼ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3 cups flour
- 12-oz. fresh cranberries
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1 orange peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- ¾ cup water
- Cream the butter, sugar and salt together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add walnuts, cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and zest. Mix well.
- Add flour and mix until incorporated.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface.
- For each cookie cut two shapes with your cookie cutter. From one cut a smaller shape out leaving a hole. Place them on separate trays.
- Bake on parchment-lined sheets for 12-14 minutes.
- Allow cookie to cool completely.
- When cool, dust the cookies with the holes with confectioners’ sugar.
- Spread about a teaspoonful of filling on the base cookie and top with the dusted cookie.
- In a food processor, grind the cranberries to a fine consistency.
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Over medium heat bring the ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and allow to cook for 30-35 minutes or until you reach 220 degrees.
- Allow to cool completely before using.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.